Friday, December 28, 2007

"Thin line tween heaven and here." - Bubs (Season One, Episode 4)

I've been jonesing for a Resurrection from the Brewer's Art for the past five months, so when Laura wrote about Baltimore a week ago, I started mentally listing my own Bmore loves, and I've been craving crepes from Sophie's ever since...I love how she compared her memory of Baltimore to her memory of her first kiss, the "sloppy awkward beauty" of it, how you want to vomit and cheer at the same time...it's the perfect description of this postindustrial place trying to land on its feet. Some of the best things to come out of Baltimore are her storytellers, and David Simon is no exception. His isn't the only voice, though, in what I think is the greatest show on television hands down: The Wire.

Need I say more? It's merely some of the finest writing known to humankind, and one day I'll write a dissertation comparing it to Shakespeare's great tragedies - that scene where Avon and Stringer shake hands, each knowing they've betrayed the other, is breathtaking. And I can't even get started on the education piece. Suffice to say I hope Margaret Spellings watched last season.

Ready for Season Five? Here it comes....

No comments: