Friday, September 18, 2009

"once upon a time there were 4 little rabbits" - Beatrix Potter

I don't know that I would recommend the movie Ms. Potter, but I have to say I recommend Beatrix Potter as an amazing woman. She defied convention, insisted on preserving farmland and donated all her land to the public, was a scientist, and published over 20 amazing books.

Whew.

But I am struck by the love stories she had. There were two, mostly... First, her publisher. Her parents weren't happy since he was in trade and thought Beatrix would be marrying down. She insisted on it anyway, and sadly didn't get the chance to marry him - he died before they could be married.

And two, a lawyer, whom she marries at 47. At this point, she has all the money she needs, and certainly isn't marrying for social gain....which makes me think it must be love, and that makes me happy.

No comments: