Sunday, July 19, 2009

"I'd like to take a tide pen shower right now." - Al

The driver who drives to school in the morning has only been driving for a year. Seriously. He grew up in New York City and didn't get a license until a year ago.

He is a big fan of pumping furiously on the brakes at the last second and stopping in the middle of the intersection, then backing up almost into the bumper of the car behind us.

After one such furious stopping incident on the way to school, at 6:50 a.m., Al spilled coffee all over herself. All over her lovely new pencil skirt. Mr. O, who is one of my favorite people in the world, was sitting between her and I and his first response was, "Do you need a Tide pen? I have one in my bag."

He reached into the back of the van, drew out a Tide pen, and offered it to Al, who looked like she might cry.

She looked at it.

Mr. O then proceeded to uncap said Tide pen and start scrubbing furiously all over Al's lap.

This didn't appear to be working out too well, so he offered to switch clothes: "Al, if it's really too awful, you can have my pants and I'll wear your skirt in the office all day."

At which point, the car erupted with furious laughter and even Al smiled.

I heart Mr. O.

No comments: