Monday, August 3, 2009

blessing the boats

Today I am flying home to Wallace, and to people I love and care about, and I am looking forward to sleeping for about 18 years this week.

My corps members flew off to their regions on Friday, and I was sad I will not be there with them this year, or be able to have them over for dinner, since they're all the way across the other side of the country...

Goodbyes are not my favorite thing . Mostly I would like everyone I love to be in the same place for always.

So I wasn't sure what I would end with, except that I've had a few conversations lately about how really what a lot of good teaching comes down to is loving our children...And I think the work of teaching is sacred work, and this is what I ended us with - that leading children in learning means you are standing on holy ground.

So I sent every one of them on their way with lucille clifton's blessing, one of my favorite poems:





may the tide
that is entering even now
the lip of our understanding
carry you out
beyond the face of fear
may you kiss
the wind then turn from it
certain that it will
love your back may you
open your eyes to water
water waving forever
and may you in your innocence
sail through this to that








This is what I hope for each of them - that they may sail through this summer into a classroom where kids feel welcomed and valued, and learn all they can every day.

No comments: