Friday, March 7, 2008

"I knew who I was when I woke up this morning, but I'm sure I must have changed several times since then." --Alice in Wonderland

Moving is over-rated. Especially at work.

People’s personalities come out when you move, and you learn what’s really important to them.

For example, it’s really important to one person that the table we eat lunch at is set up, even though there are no chairs, and it’s behind a bunch of boxes with no kitchen access. There is a table set up in another location with a kitchen, garbage can, and everything you would need to eat lunch together. So I’m personally not sure why we need another table set up behind boxes, but for some reason it’s important.

Another thing that happens when you move with a lot of people is that your individual stuff gets mixed up with communal stuff and if there’s very little organization or thought put into who’s doing what, it gets messy. Not just messy with stuff all over the place, but messy with people. It turns out that the offices which were supposed to hold two people actually only hold one, and all those folks who were going to share needed to be reshuffled, and flexibility has been key this week. Call me Miss Elastic…I didn’t do a good job of it yesterday, but I’m trying to today. I still get to sit by my favorite co-worker, and we now get to look out at what we think might be one of the hottest drug corners in Seattle. And downtown, to our right. It’s a pretty good view. Also, I’m right next to the back door, so I can sneak in and out if I want to. And the water cooler, so I’ll stay hydrated. Perfect.

On an entirely different note, when you are moving, carbohydrates are a good thing to have around. I ‘ve eaten 4 doughnuts and 3 girl scout peanut butter cookies today. I feel a little sick, but if could also be the fluorescent lighting.

No comments: