Friday, February 27, 2009

"we don't have a pair without fur, so we can't do a reliable test." -sij

In my recent Torontonian adventures (I learned to ice skate backwards! Granted, it's like baby steps, but still), my boots were the subject of much debate.

For the record, I got them at Nordstrom Rack for $26.00. What I like: They are insulated and fuzzy and kept my feet nice and dry in the mounds of snowy Arctic conditions in Toronto. What I don't like: They have tanks on them. As in, military tanks. On the flap where you lace up, so it's not really noticeable, but it is disturbing to me that I'm wearing them. They were the only snow boots there that looked reasonable and practical, however, so I bought them anyway. I don't really think a pacifist should wear things with tanks on them. There is probably more to this story, but I'm stopping here.

Sij wanted to know if the fur was merely decorative or really kept snow out. She suggested dragging a leg through a snow drift just to see what would happen. I didn't take her up on this idea, although it would have been great product testing. I think it's pretty decorative, but I also think the lining is superb enough and does not require fur.

I put the boots away in the back of my closet when I got home this week, only to drag them out again yesterday morning when it snowed. Seattle weather is beyond me.

No comments: