Wednesday, June 11, 2008

"give me another waking moment" - laura gibson

One of my favorite things to do is to have people over for artsy things. Like a talent show, except with all my friends singing or reading poetry or what have you. Turns out other people like this too. Last night I talked my tuesday night potluck people into going over to the Round at the Fremont Arts Abbey, mostly because I thought my friend Lacey would be there and also because I needed some music in my life.

My favorite thing about the Abbey is this quote from their homepage:

Do monks live there? Why is it called the Fremont Abbey?

Historically Abbey's have been places of community gatherings offering safety and comfort. And we just like the name. Even though it's a multi-use community center now, it is obviously a church building so the name stuck. But no monks live here and you do not need to wear burlap or shave your head in order to attend an event. We encourage people of all faiths and belief systems to take part in events at the Abbey.

Wait, actually, my favorite thing is this concept: Musicians, poets, artists, all up onstage, all performing. How cool is that? It was awesome.

Performers included: Laura Gibson (fav line: "this is not the end"), Pablo Trucker (fav: "smoke by day", although the whiskeytown cover was also awesome), Molly Rose, (fav: "canopy of smoke", and Matt Gano (fav: "i wanna know the truth" tied with the one about the revolution of cupcakes and turnip bombs....

No comments: