Saturday, February 9, 2008

"How can the wife of a former President be the most qualified candidate for the American presidency? This is not an oligarchy." - P.J.

I was at Key Arena yesterday. I sat on the steps in section 211, next to two high school kids from Lynden who knew friends of mine from college. There was a baby behind me in her mama's arms, and a 4 year old hopping up and down to her right, and two grandparents to my left. As we listened to Obama say "I can't make change by myself" I wondered if this was it, if there is really going to be a change in our nation...and I thought of Sweet Honey in the Rock, coming to sing their hearts out this weekend like they always do, their song "We are the Ones we've been waiting for..."

While things like the Patriot Act drive me nuts, and I once was headed to law school, I have never wanted to support someone in the run for president as much as I have wanted to support this candidate. The hope in the arena was almost something you could touch. I think we need some of this hope in the other Washington.

No comments: