Monday, February 4, 2008

"i love you babe. we've got magic." - intoxicated Sonics fan

(Sadly this was not said to me, but to the woman standing next to him.) I don't know if she knew him or not. It was unclear from their interaction. She wasn't really standing in close proximity, she also looked a tad worse for wear....

It was a sad night for the Sonics. At one point they went two minutes without scoring and I thought I might die. The little girl in front of me was wearing a Payton jersey, which reminded me of when I was a kid and we'd go to games and actually win, since they actually played well. At the current rate, I think we're on track to win 20 games this season. Seriously.

I got these tickets during what I think was a marketing ploy to get folks in seats. I don't think it worked. They said on the radio after the game there were 10,000 people there, but I don't believe it. It was pretty empty, especially considering it was Nick Collison bobble-head night. The crowd was pretty low-energy and quiet, except for my dad, who thinks it's his personal responsibility to point out everything the refs are missing to everyone around. This is what makes him a good fan, but also hard to sit by sometimes.

I think the city of seattle was mistaken in their negotiations with the Sonics. It's turned into a reactive strategy instead of a proactive one...we aren't seeing them as an asset. My question is what's going to happen to Key Arena when they leave? The Thunderbirds are moving south. So what's gonna go on at the Key?

No comments: