Monday, February 11, 2008

"my life is full of things I haven't said to boys I liked" -katherine

Interupting the P.J. Political series to briefly comment on male/female relationships.

My friend Katherine got broken up with today over e-mail. I am not going to use this as an excuse to rant about the insensitivity of men, because here's the thing: he was a decent guy. We all liked him. In fact, we thought he was funny, cool, decent, hard-working, fun. They kissed and went rock-climbing and made dinners together, and it was good. Until he sent her an e-mail at work declaring they had no chemistry, but hey, could they be friends?

And now she is sad. Not really mad (except about the over e-mail at work part, which, let's be honest, was more cowardly than one would have expected. Man up and do it in person, please), but sad, because she liked hanging out with him a lot.

I'm sad too, because I liked him, and I liked that she was happy around him. And I wish...I don't know what I wish. I wish all this relationship stuff was easier to figure out, or at least that people were more gentle with each other's hearts. And also that people weren't afraid. Fear makes us do stupid things that generally don't work out too well for us or for those around us.

1 comment:

LKT said...

This blog proves that if you can feel it, Patty Griffin has a song about it. "Be Careful how you bend me, be careful how you end me, be careful with me."