Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"it's a bitch of a week for me...." someone who shall remain nameless

I do not enjoy it when people complain about how busy they are.

Mostly because I feel like


0) stop whining. gee, I sound like my mom, but there's a reason she used to say this. whining is not attractive. remotely. in any way.

1) this is something that is largely in your control if you are young, white, single, and only have to work one job. And when there are other factors, there are still things one can say no to.

2) if this is a request for sympathy, it is not a good one. everybody has stuff going on. everybody has shit to do. everybody has major life events that are traumatic and interfere. get over it. find a group therapy session.

3) our culture would like us to think that the busier we are, the more stuff we have to do, the better we are, the more we win, and all that crapola. As my grandfather says, "Blow it out your mustache." Whatever that means. but really, it's SO NOT TRUE. The busier you are just means the more things you have to do to sustain a life that you might or might not enjoy. (and it's more likely you don't enjoy it.) It has nothing to do with getting ahead of everyone else who's not as busy.

4) I'm finding that the people who are legitimately busy are people who do not complain as much about it. they simply go about their business and get things done that need to get done. I'm not saying that people who are complaining aren't legitimately busy..well, yes, I guess I am.

And I'd like to point out that the Merriam Webster Online Dictionary notes that the 3rd definition of "busy" is "foolishly or intrusively active." So true. All these people running around like chickens with their heads cut off. What for, folks? You can't take it with you, you know.

By the way, when you google "busy," about 198,000,000 responses come up. this is intriguing. I'd like to sort out those hits. If only I had more time.

No comments: