Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Dave: Maybe we should set Gretz up with Ben.

Sij: Yeah, cause she’s in Seattle and he’s in Toronto.

Dave: Concessions can be made. Can't we discuss this?


I was sitting in a bar last summer with Sij, Angela, and John the week before Tiffany and Brendan's wedding. Sij leaned over and said, "Would you marry us?"

I thought the beer had gone to her head for a minute and asked if she was serious. She said I was the closest thing to a pastor she knew.

I pointed out that going to church occasionally does not make one an ordained minister and there are probably lots of people more qualified than I. Then I said yes, but ask Dave what he thinks. Really, how many opportunities can one have to marry people? Especially people you think are fantastic for each other.

So she asked Dave, and it turns out they wanted me to marry them. I learned the Universal Life Church will ordain just about anyone. I sent an e-mail requesting ordination, and four weeks later got a certificate that says I can marry people.

I'm somewhat nervous about this. I don't generally like making speeches longer than four minutes. Two minutes is even better if one has to get up and say something.

I don't think Dave would mind if I did it in two minutes, but probably I need to be a bit more lengthy and give some good details about their relationship and why I think they're awesome and how perfect they are for each other and all that. They're pretty great, so it won't be hard to come up with things to say. I'm more worried about what to wear. It's going to be Toronto in July, outside, which will be nice but condusive to heat and humidity, which means sweating and gross. This is probably shallow, but seriously, it's so much easier for men. They can throw a shirt and tie on and they're good. What should a female wear to marry people?

Anyway, one condition for marrying them is that they invite all their single male friends to the wedding, but Sij asked if I cared about quality, which I took as a sign not to get my hopes up too much. She did say Ben was newly single this weekend, but considering the distance factor, I give it a 1 in 1000 chance of happening.

3 comments:

LKT said...

Oh my gosh, Greta, I can't believe that you are marrying them. I love it! Regarding clothing, I say that you wear something that is dignified, and beautiful. As in, keep the lines and cut dignified, but make sure that the details are fabulous: an incredible top or fantastic shoes, or a skirt with awesome appliques or something like that. Don't try to match. Go for something that will fade into the background but look awesomely cool up close.

Gretzky said...

Yeah, I've got the "dignified but fabulous details" thing, but what does that mean in reality?

Clearly this will require I set foot in a department store, something I try to avoid in general.

LKT said...

I will come with you. We will be fabulous.