Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"You should blog about how good I am at Friends." - Princess Consuela

Princess Consuela is on my quiz team, and it was dark when we finished quiz night. So on our way to our respective cars, Princess Consuela graciously offered to drive me to my car after our disappointing loss, even though she rocked the "Friends" category. (6th place!) I was only a block away, so I said no thanks, but it was good of her to offer and made me thankful I have good friends who also have good manners.

This reminded me of my last three dates.

The last three dates I’ve been on, it has been dark when I have left said date’s meeting place. It is perfectly legitimate to hold a date at an hour when it isn’t light outside. But at the end of the night, sometimes your date’s car is parked in a location far away from yours. A reasonable, prudent girl (me, for example) won’t take offense when you offer to walk her to her car. This actually could be considered polite. In some scenarios, when both parties are parked far away, in opposite directions from the meeting place, you might offer to drive this reasonable girl to her car and she would most likely accept your offer. For heaven’s sake, wait until she gets in her car before driving off. When you deposit her on the street next to her car and zoom off like the devil’s chasing you, she is left alone in the dark, fumbling for her keys, trying desperately to open the driver’s side door. She wonders, Was I really that bad?

2 comments:

LKT said...

Can we write a book about common courtesy, because girl, I HEAR you. Just yesterday, a certain friend held my coat to help me put it on. And you know what? It was kind, and helpful, and considerate. I felt considered.

Gretzky said...

It's nice to feel considered.